Monday, March 14, 2011

The big picture.

"...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Life doesn't ask us if we are ready or not. It doesn't ask us how much we can handle at one time. It just throws itself at us, and it's up to us to decide how we handle it.

This morning my mom told me I was looking at life like an 8th grader. She was right, I know this. The older I get, the smarter my mom gets. Funny how that works. 

The reason she said this is because I don't like school. AT ALL. In fact, I don't like school more now than I have ever not liked it in my life. I think this is in great part to my major, and the fact that I am ready to graduate. But mostly thanks to my major that I don't like. Anyway, the point is, it doesn't matter how much I don't like school. It's something I have to do because the big picture that is my life, will be much more beautiful if I finish school. 

It's hard to look at the big picture sometimes, especially when it's one you don't want to see, or when you aren't sure how to get it all in view, but life doesn't ask us if we want to look at the big picture. It just gives us the big picture, and it's up to us to see how much of it we want. 

So the lesson for the day is this: There is a big picture behind every 4x6. If you want to just look at the 4x6, then that's your choice, but life isn't going to just give you a 4x6. It's going to give you a big picture; a mural. Be careful of what you miss when you just look at what's right in front of you. It's a beautiful life; or maybe you disagree, but however beautiful or not it is, there is much too much of it to only look at what's right in front of you. Step back, take it in. All of it. Today will guide tomorrow. Of that, I am sure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment