Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Being an adult. ?

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 1 Corinthians 13:11

I cannot believe it is (almost) August. It's crazy the way this summer went by so fast. Actually, it's crazy the way this year went by so fast! I think of this time last year. I can almost remember the exact day where I was, what I was doing, and where I thought I would be right now. Oh, the way plans change!

I am thankful for this past year, and all the things I've come to know. I feel like I have grown more this past year, than in many of my few years combined. It's funny to me- the way we like to call ourselves adults, and then the way it feels when you actually start making adult-like decisions.

When I was younger, sometimes I would feel this enormous weight to figure out exactly what I was going to be and do when I finished school. I felt like I needed to have this plan, to have it all figured out, and I felt like that's what made me an "adult." I felt like having a plan is what made the difference in an adult and a child. That's not true though.

Over the past year, I've been through a lot, and needless to say, a lot of my plans have fallen through. No wait, all of my plans have fallen through. So, I have dealt with losing sight of what I was going to do or  be, but I am much closer now to being an "adult" than I've ever been before, and for the first time, I have no plans, no ideas, about what I am going to do or be. I, for the first time, have no clue about my future, but also for the first time, I have no worries.

So, this is what I've come to realize- being an adult has nothing to do with your plans or knowing what you are going to do or be. Being an adult is not an age or certain time or year in life.

 Being an adult is a point in your life when you are able to let go of your own plans and worries. It's a point when you realize what's important, where your priorities should be, and where they really are.  Being an adult is a point when you can be content with who you are, what God has given you, and what he's chosen to keep from you. Being an adult is when you can finally be okay with not having all the answers, and not being able to figure everything out. It's when you don't have it all together, and that's okay. It's when you realize there's really not much you have to complain about, a lot you have to be grateful for, and a lot you have left to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment