Sunday, February 21, 2010

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.

I feel like I should write about some of the things in life I am thankful for. Angela Nixon, thank you for the idea. Here goes:

1. Health-
 of my loved ones and myself. I was driving behind a car on the interstate the other day with a decal on the back windshield that said "Pray for Arianna" with the St. Jude logo under it. Some family was fighting for the health of their child. I know there are plenty of families fighting for the health of their loved ones, but for some reason this car with this decal really struck me. I have been praying for Arianna, and I hope you will too. And don't forget to thank God for your health while you're at it. 
2. Friends-
Having good friends, even just one that, even if it's been months since you've seen each other,  you can run to and immediately feel close with- like they know you better than you know yourself, and it's only been a minute since you last talked.
3. Family-
A family who knows what it's like to have to rely on our God to get us through. A family who pulls together in tough times and loves each other unconditionally, even though we are very, very flawed. A family who laughs together and enjoys spending time with one another. 
4. Cell phones-
This may be shallow, but there have been times when being able to call my Dad right away from the side of the road with a broken down car or my Mom the minute tears come to my eyes is such a sense of comfort and instant support. 
5. An older brother-
Simply because I love all the times I've heard "you better watch out. She'll get her brother" Also because his sense of humor astonishes me. Ha. 
5. An older sister-
Because we write comments back and forth like we're from a Jane Austen novel and it makes me laugh, even just thinking about it.
6. Monday night bible study-
Because I learn more from those girls than I think they learn from me, and that in itself is a blessing. 
7. Fast Food
Because sometimes a little grease and too much salt is a very, very good thing.
8. The United States-
This may seem corny, but we are a nation blessed beyond belief. We take everything we have for granted, and we have everything at our disposal. I am so thankful to live here, in this country, where my dreams can easily become realities and where my life is filled with freedom and real, true hope. 
9. The South-
Once again, this may seem corny, but I love that people from the north make fun of our accents and don't really know what sweet tea is. I love that we are known for bar-b-que and tractors. ( just don't tell them there are more Escalades and rappers in Memphis than tractors.) I love that it is hot here 80% of the year and that "Yes ma'am" is a phrase young boys are taught before they learn anything else.
10. Good, sappy love stories-
Because they satisfy the romantic inside every girl. I am talking: P.S. I love you. Dear John, The Notebook, Sleepless in Seattle, You've got Mail, etc.
11. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks-
Because of Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail.
12. Good Literature-
Any kind. Because books can be used and reused and passed down and there is just something to be said for literature. It is precious. 
13. My job-
Because I've worked there for 3 years, and although there have been many trying nights, I love all of my Milano's family like they really are family. It is truly the best place to work, even on the not-so-great nights. Plus, any job you can hold, especially for 3 years, is something to be thankful for; the sense of comfort that comes from knowing you don't have to worry about where you'll get money for the next expense.
14. The Bible-
and not because I feel like I should say that. It is full with incredible stories and truths and answers and even romance. Every time I open my Bible, I learn something new and feel that much closer to God. 
15. A Long Distance Relationship-
Because it shows me that time is precious and valuable. Also, because it has taught me great things about communication, trust, honesty, and patience. 
16. The Internet-
Because the other day I talked to a girl who lives in New Mexico and a boy who lives in Africa. This would have taken weeks, and probably would not have happened, if it wasn't for the internet. 
17. Student Life-
For the incredible, truly life long friends I met. Also, for the dependency I learned to have on God while I was there.
18. Grant and Angela Nixon-
Because they have done and are continuing to do great things in our church. God has used them in so many ways already, and they have impacted me more than they know.
19. Chris Ellison-
Because his servant heart is absolutely incredible.
20. Melissa Shaeffer-
Because despite the fact that there is only 2 regular attenders in our Sunday school class, she continues to put her whole effort into us and her passion is contagious.
21. Memphis, Tennessee-
Because it makes me feel a little ghetto and a little more tough just being from here. Also, because people think it's cool that I grew up where Elvis did. (they must not know too much!)
22. Bicycles-
For being something my Dad and I can do together, finally. 
23. OPI-
For making the best nail polish that doesn't melt when I have to get things out of the hot ovens at work. Woo!
24. Chili's Restaurant-
For being a constant source of entertainment and good queso for my friends and I.
25. Starbucks Coffee Shops-
Because it is a modern day gathering hole. Tuesdays, 2:30- like clockwork.
26. Pictures-
Because I still have memories from years and years ago that would have been long forgotten otherwise.

This list could go on, but I am going to stop here for now. God is good. All the time. 

3 comments:

  1. dearest sister,
    i am so very touched by this list you have composed. it is such an honest insight into your heart. i hope that this monday morn finds you well. i am so looking foward to our meeting tomorrow. it has been far too long since i have enjoyed your company. i hope that you enjoy a most glorious day. my heart and thoughts are always with you.
    all my love,
    your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have just gone on forever with the list of things you are thankful for, right? God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I could have kept going and going but I had to stop! I think I am going to start doing this one every few weeks just to remind myself how full and blessed my life is.

    ReplyDelete